On the Right Route to Routine
Does the idea of going to the gym make you groan in agony? We all know exercise is good for our bodies, but sometimes it can be hard to make it fit into our busy schedules! Between work, family and other obligations, a regular workout routine can seem nearly impossible to fit into your day.
MHP Community Wellness Coordinator Ann Smith wants you to know it’s easier than you think. In fact, she believes no matter how busy you are, squeezing a little more movement in your routine can have an impact! Try these tips:
- Park further away from an entrance
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator
- Make sure to take regular breaks from sitting to stretch your legs during work
- Take a walk during your lunch break
- Do some household chores instead of vegging out in front of the TV
- Squat while you brush your teeth, do the dishes, cook dinner or fold laundry
- Switch out your office chair for an exercise ball
- Stand while talking on the phone
- Ride your bike or walk to the store or work
- Ditch the cart and carry reusable bags for groceries instead. Weightlifting and helping the environment, a double-good deal!
Bet you didn’t think of all of these sneaky ways to bust a move, did you? If you do have time to work in a workout, grab a buddy and choose the time of day when you have the most energy. Friends can be great motivators who won’t let you back down! Join a fun dance or yoga class, maybe a league sport, whatever it takes to make working out not a workout!
Published Aug 10, 2017
Mahaska Health Partnership Community Wellness Coordinator Ann Smith coordinates community outreach programs to help people make healthy choices and stay well. She has a Bachelor’s of Science in Health Science with an emphasis in Health, Wellness and Nutrition. She is also certified in Holistic Nutrition.